There are three steps you need to take to get your Instagram notifications working:
Step 1: Make sure notifications are turned on in the app
Here’s how to do it:
- 1. Go to your Instagram profile
- 2. Tap the three lines at the top right and go to ‘Settings’
- 3. Tap ‘Notifications’
- 4. Here you will see all of the notification options. First, make sure that ‘Pause all Notifications’ is turned off at the top. If notifications aren’t working for a specific feature, such as Direct Messages, tap that option and ensure notification are enabled.
Step 2: Ensure notifications are turned on in your device settings
This is very simple to do but the process varies slightly depending on if you’re using iPhone or Android.
- 1. Go to your iPhone Settings > Notifications
- 2. Choose Instagram
- 3. Ensure that notifications are turned on
Step 3: Reset the cache
If your notifications are still not working even after checking they are enabled within the app and in your device settings, the final thing to do is to clear the Instagram cache. This will basically clear the temporary data that Instagram has stored on your device. It’s the best way to fix bugs within your app. So, here’s how to do it:
- For iOS: Go to Settings > General > iPhone Storage > Instagram and tap ‘Offload App’
- For Android: Go to Settings > Apps > Instagram > Storage > Clear Cache
And that’s it! After completing these three steps, it’s highly likely that your notifications will be working again. If not, the only thing left to do is to reinstall the app.
Why it’s Good to Get Notifications from Instagram
Notifications are a great way to get alerted when something happens on your profile. Instagram gives you a wide selection of different notifications that you can turn on or off. These include for direct messages, when someone follows you, and when someone tags you or comments / likes one of your posts. Furthermore, you can set the benchmark as to when you get notified. This means that you can disable notifications from people who do not follow you, and enable them only for people who you are following. This is especially useful if you have a popular Instagrma profile with a large following, as the notifications can get overwhelming!
So, to conclude, in order to fix your notifications you need to ensure these are enabled both within the Instagram app and within your iPhone / Android settings. When you launched Instagram for the first time it would have asked you if you would like to enable notifications. If you chose ‘Yes’, then the notifications should be enabled by default. However, if you chose ‘No’ then you will need to manually enable them using the steps we outlined above.
Furthermore, the method to clear cache is a great way to get rid of any corrupted temporary data that Instagram may have stored on your device. This is the most common culprit for bugs such as notifications not working, so it’s a good idea to do this every so often anyway.