On the 5th of August 2020, Instagram announced it introduced Instagram Reels on the app.
Instagram reels is a new way of creating short and entertaining video content on Instagram. It is very similar to tiktok except that it was built to function within the Instagram app.
With Instagram reels, you can record or edit 15 seconds fun videos on Instagram. After which you can share on your feeds or even in the explore platform. Instagram Reels also has fun filters, audios, and effects embedded in it.
How to Use Instagram Reels
- Step 1: Open the camera on your Instagram like you would when creating Instagram stories.
- Step 2: Click on it and you would see several options just at the left side of the camera.
- Step 3: Also on the left, you will see an icon for selecting the speed of your video. Choose whatever speed suits you.
- Step 4: Set a timer for your video by clicking on the timer icon. Once you set the timer, a countdown begins. Then recording starts.
- Step 5: Instagram reels also have filters and effects. Check out the effects and choose one that suits your video.
- Step 6: Hold and press the record button to record your videos. You can record as many video clips as you want within the set time.
- Step 7: The align feature still on the left side of the video helps you to arrange your recordings in order to tell your story seamlessly. The align feature helps with the flow of your videos.
Then check for the icon named Reels.
The Audio icon helps you add music to your video. Click on it to explore the songs on your Instagram music library. You can also create your personal songs with Instagram reels.
Once you are happy with the results of your recordings, edit as you want. You can add Instagram stickers or any other effects.
Edit the cover of your video with a video thumbnail or add a cover from your camera roll. You can also write your captions just before you share the video.
How to share Reels
There are two ways you can share your reels video. You can either share your reels video to the explore page or to your followers on your feed.
You can also share your reels to your Instagram story or to a close friend. If you choose to share your reels to your story, it disappears after 24 hours like your Instagram story.
Sharing your reels on the explore page is advisable for businesses on Instagram. You reach a wider audience when you share on explore. Alternatively, you can share your reels on your feed if you run a private account.
How to Watch Reels.
To watch videos recorded by other people, check your explore page. You will see a broad range of reels by different people all over the world. When you find a reel you love, you can like, share or comment.
If you shared your reels on your feed, your followers can find all the reels you have created on your profile.