Social media can be too much for some people. Whether you’re bored of it, it’s too distracting or you just want your privacy back, there are many reasons why you may want to get rid of Instagram. However, simply deleting the app does not get rid of your account. Instead, you need to do one of the following:
- Deactivate your account. This will make your profile no longer visible on Instagram, however you will still be able to recover your account at any time.
- Delete your account. If you instead want your entire account to be deleted from Instagram’s servers permanently, you will need to delete it.
In this post we will show you the quickest way to either deactivate your Instagram account or delete it altogether, which have different steps.
How to Deactivate Your Instagram Account
- 1. Go to the Instagram website. You can’t deactivate Instagram within the app.
- 2. Go to your profile page and click the ‘Edit Profile’ button.
- 3. Click ‘Temporarily disable my account’ at the bottom of the page.
- 4. Choose a reason for why you’re disabling your account from the drop down menu (any will do)
- 5. Re-Enter your Instagram password and then click ‘Temporarily Disable Account’
Done! You have now deactivated your account and will no longer be visible on Instagram. If you would like to reactivate your Instagram account, simply log back in and your account will be automatically reactivated.
How to Delete Your Instagram Account
To permanently delete your Instagram profile and all its content, here’s what you need to do:
- 1. Go to the Instagram website and log in. Again, you can only delete your account through the website, not the app.
- 2. Go to the ‘Delete Your Account’ page, which you can find by following this link.
- 3. Choose a reason for deleting your account from the drop down list and Re-enter your password.
- 4. Finally, click the red ‘Permanently delete my account’ button at the bottom of the page.
And that’s it, your profile has now been deleted! Just remember, all of your photos, likes comments, stories and all other content and activity associated with your account will be deleted permanently. This is why it’s a good idea to download a backup of your account before deleting it, which we show you how to do below.
How to Download Your Instagram Photos and Account Details
Before you go ahead and delete your Instagram account, it’s worth downloading everything that you’ve uploaded to the platform. You may not think so now, but later on you may need a copy of the a certain photo. At this point, if you haven’t saved this, you’ll end up regretting it. Downloading your Instagram content is quick and easy. However, the exact length of time depends on how much you’ve uploaded. So, here’s how to download a backup of your Instagram profile:
- 1. Go to Instagram’s Account Download page here and log in if you haven’t already.
- 2. Enter your email and click next. Then, enter your password and click ‘Request Download’.
- 3. Instagram will then begin converting your account into a downloadable file. Once this is completed, they will email it to you so that you can download it. Usually this is done within a few hours.