When you sign up to Instagram, you have to enter your email address. However, what should you do if your email address has since changed?
If your email address is now different to your Instagram one, it's important that you update your Instagram email straight away. This guide will show you the quickest and easiest way of how to change your Instagram email.
How to Change Instagram Email Address
- Go to your Instagram profile page by tapping the icon of a person at the bottom left of your screen.
- Tap ‘Edit Profile'
- Under ‘Private information' you will see a field where you can enter your new email address.
- Enter your email address and tap ‘Done'.
- Instagram will now prompt you to check your emails to confirm that you own the email address that you've just entered. This is to prevent users from using other people's email on their Instagram profile.
- Once you click the confirmation link sent to to your email, your new email address will be confirmed. Instagram will now send all information and correspondence about your account to this email. So, it's very important that you don't lost access to this email!
That's it! Your email address has now been changed.
Why is Your Instagram Email so Important?
Instagram uses your Instagram to keep your account score, as well as send alerts about your account. Therefore, it is very importnat that you use an email address that you check, just in case there are any issues with your profile.
There are many different reasons why Instagram may contact you about your account. For example, if you forget your password, the only way you can reset it is to receive an email. This email will allow you to reset your password to a new one. Another reason is that there may have been suspicious activity on your account, such as by a hacker. If this is the case, Instagram will send you an email saying your account is locked. The only way to unlock the account would be to confirm it's yours via email.
Instagram also uses email to send you notifications. For example, if someone follows you or likes / comments on your post, you can choose to receive email notifications on this. Notifications aren't just limited to push notifications!
So there you have it! This guide has explained how to change your Instagram email. We have also talked about why it is so important to use an up to date email that you have access to.
Email Security Tips
There are many different things you can do to keep your Instagram account secure. For example, you should use a different password for your Instagram account and your email. This is because if someone gains access to your email account password they may then use this to log in to your Instagram.
One other way to keep your Instagram secure is to use an email address that you check regularly. This is because if there is a security issue, Instagram will let you know by email. Perhaps you will need to take some action such resetting your password. By using an email that you check regularly, you can quickly act on whatever the problem may be.